SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upcoming Tikal Bugfixes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willythesnitch wrote:
I agree that it should be up to the player to find the best route for movement

I disagree.

Really, how many players are taking the wrong route because they didn't see a cheaper route? Do people really think their opponents are that unobservant?

So, we're penalizing all players, and particularly penalizing players on slow connections, by making them move each worker one space at a time. And what's the benefit for penalizing all these players? The small chance that a player might be so totally blind to the mechanics of the game that she might take the wrong route to the destination hex.
willythesnitch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think the goal is to keep the feel of the game as if it were being played face to face. When playing F2F, do you pick up a worker and put him on the destination, or do you move him tile by tile so that your opponent can see your moves? Whenever I've played, we always go tile by tile.

The way the implementation is now, there is no way to provide a bonus to the unobservant player. By indicating the best route, you are giving an advantage to those who don't always pay attention. I'd rather find the best path myself and know that I made the best moves on my own, than have the route pointed out for me. Better to slow the game a little for everyone than allow lesser players an advantage.

Chad
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking at the worker movement issue as well as some of the other interface requests (e.g. one-click digging) and it now occurs to me that this might be a good candidate for a game variant.

The variant could be called "fast play" or something similar. It could include:
Treasure digs by clicking on treasure tile
Temple digs by clicking on temple tile
End-to-end worker movement
Worker-to-camp by clicking on camp icons (bringing leader to camp would still require clicking in supply?)

Having this as a variant would allow us to test this style of play without disrupting existing games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A variant would be good.

I never want to play against unobservant players. What's the point? It would be boring and there'd be no challenge.

When we play face to face, we pick up the worker, put it on the destination hex, and announce how much it cost to get there. I've never seen anyone physically move the pawn from stone to stone or hex to hex. To each their own, I guess.

To me, this is like arguing whether we should let the computer count our scores or whether we should be required to manually count our points. Why not let the computer do what it does best - counting!
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Better to slow the game a little for everyone than allow lesser players an advantage.

Willy,
I'm not arguing either for against the proposal, but I would point out that it doesn't give unobservant players an advantage. It may lessen a disadvantage, but that's not the same thing.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the new version has been uploaded and it will be put into place shortly. See the first message of this thread for details.
JeffyJeff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
Ok, the new version has been uploaded and it will be put into place shortly. See the first message of this thread for details.

Looks like there's a problem with the new version Sad Overlaid with the display of the board are a bunch of PHP warnings... (I had to cut/paste from html as I wasn't able to cut/paste from the rendered page)

<b>Warning</b>: array_merge() [<a href='function.array-merge'>function.array-merge</a>]: Argument #1 is not an array in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1477</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1481</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1482</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1483</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1484</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1485</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1486</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1487</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1488</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1489</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: in_array() [<a href='function.in-array'>function.in-array</a>]: Wrong datatype for second argument in <b>/www/spielbyweb.com/docs/game/tikal/tikal_funcs.php</b> on line <b>1490</b><br />
<br />
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: