SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestion: visible score in non-variant 2 games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Suggestion: visible score in non-variant 2 games Reply with quote

we have variant 2 where you score as you play. Its useful but a little dry if you ask me. I think the two scoring rounds add a bit more depth to the game. Thing is, it's annoying to play those because you end up in these situations where you have to calculate people's scores (eg to see if you should end the game or not). All the information is visible (in that just by looking at the board you can calculate scores with zero error) so why not save us the trouble and list:

- Current score (if any). By this I mean if the first scoring round has passed, list that score; and

- Running score: the value of what each player has showing on the board.

It'd save a lot of drudgery I think.

EDIT: and while we're at it, list the number of markets each player is currently connected to as well.
gische

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't too tough to do, I'd love to see it. I hate spending the time to calc it myself.
spearjr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be variant 3??

As it stands, I'm glad that Spielbyweb mirrors the in person game, where you don't really know what the other players have scored, UNLESS you go through the drudgery.

As a sidenote, if you want to see this running tally in a no variant game, www.Yucata.de does this already.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kanga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with hagin's sentiments to some extent, I'd prefer things left as they are.

I know the game designers here thought about this quite a lot before deciding to have no visible score.

I've played at yucata and while it's nice to have the score visible I think it takes away some of the mystery to the game.
Mabi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:
I know the game designers here thought about this quite a lot before deciding to have no visible score.

Yes, but they designed it for face-to-face play, where hidden information can indeed be useful (often to avoid kingmaking, though Hacienda doesn't suffer much of this problem). Play-by-web is different, here there is no hidden information, just more or less convenient to keep track of.
Anyway, this has been debated several times (for example here: http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192), we all have our own preferences (I only play variant 2 games exactly for this reason). I just wanted to remark that in my opinion designer's intention is not a valid argument: the game is designed for ftf and pbw is different.
spearjr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabi wrote:
Kanga wrote:

Yes, but they designed it for face-to-face play, where hidden information can indeed be useful (often to avoid kingmaking, though Hacienda doesn't suffer much of this problem). Play-by-web is different, here there is no hidden information, just more or less convenient to keep track of.
Anyway, this has been debated several times (for example here: http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192), we all have our own preferences (I only play variant 2 games exactly for this reason). I just wanted to remark that in my opinion designer's intention is not a valid argument: the game is designed for ftf and pbw is different.

I think there was a misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure Kanga was refering to the game programmers, ie Myke and Ryan, not to Wolfgang Kramer.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mabi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spearjr wrote:
I think there was a misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure Kanga was refering to the game programmers, ie Myke and Ryan, not to Wolfgang Kramer.

Ah, ok, I had missed that. So Myke and Ryan are just plain wrong Smile.
I'm joking of course, as I said we all have our opinion but programmer's one counts a lot more Smile and if they have already put some thought on the matter then I'd say it's settled, no need to raise the issue anymore.
hagin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that the game rules are written the way they are basd on FTF games. Web games are different because you do have the time to work out people's scores exactly. In a Puerto Rico game, for example, VPs are hidden but if PR was here you could work out exactly how many VPs someone had.

Reef Encounter tackles this problem by each player putting a coral secretly in their parrotfish that isn't revealed until game's end.

The fact is, all information is present on the board in Hacienda (unlike, say, Puerto Rico where you'd have to rely on a gamelog), which makes the case for displaying a running score (at least as a variant) even stronger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: