SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amun-Re Pro Tour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpsof95

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Amun-Re Pro Tour Reply with quote

Now that we have a slightly better ranking system, it's time to see who's who. I'm going to host a series of games in Amun-Re for the best players on the site.

The requirements to join the games are:

1) Win-% above 50% after min. 50 games played.
or
2) Win-% above 45% after min. 100 games played.

The games are called "Pro Tour" and can be found on the list of passworded games. If you meet the requirements, please send a message to me to get the password.

Looking forward to have some really tough games.
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a slightly inaccurate assessment that the games will be better because of high win pct. Several of the "top" Amun-Re players have lost to us "dumber" players, maybe their wins are founded on playing new players or only consistently playing those players they know they will beat. Then again, I could just be bitter because I'm not included and my wife (who I just beat) is!! Evil or Very Mad
Kanga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am certain that these games will be of a higher standard. Even given that its possible to get a higher % by playing newer players more often, to win 50% of games still requires a high level of skill.

Looking at your record against the 8 players with win% > 50 and more than 50 games, excluding your wife, you have only won 1 game out of about 20 or more games, and the games have been won by the high ranked players on nearly every other occasion.

I suspect these games will be played quite differently than the general pattern of games on this site. It will be very interesting to be a part of them!
gische

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clearly need to get into more Amun Re games.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you play more and more of these games, the players who meet the criteria will gradually decrease. You will have to weaken the win%. Hopefully by the time I've played 50 games it will be down to 20%!
Montu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think trying to encourage strong players to play each other (in order to get stronger, ostensibly) is a great idea, but did you check the rankings before creating your criteria? Right now only 8 people meet requirement #1 and only 7 people meet requirement #2 (four players overlap). So your pro "tour" consists of 11 players. Perhaps you should take the top 10 (or top 20) ranked by %, perhaps the top 10 who have played 100 games and top 20 w/ 50 or more (there will be overlap, obviously). A pool of 25-30 players will give you 5 or 6 games running constantly. I don't know what your definition of a "tour" is, but mine is not two games and 11 players (out of how many hundred here at SBW?).

In addition, I think 50% is an unrealistically high threshhold. If people are playing 5-player games, then even 40% is a very strong win % because it means a player is winning twice his/her "share" of games (1 in 5, assuming players of relatively equal strength). Also, if you set a % you may encourage people to play more 3 and 4 player games, rather than 5-player, which is a much better test of skill: on Brettspielwelt the highest win percentages always belong to players who play the most games against the fewest opponents.

Finally, consider that despite the many ways a strong player can bring skill to bear in Amun-Re, the game involves a more than trivial amount of luck. I'd argue that among players of equal strength card draws determine the outcome at least 50% of the time. A player who has an unlucky streak might lose a handful of games he/she might have won on skill alone, and that can make a big difference in win % with only a 50 game sample (where 3 games equals more than 5%).
LVBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously need to start more 3-player games to get a crack at this tourney.
Kanga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you look at the records of the players who meet this criteria, 3 player games are very much in the minority. I'm pretty certain my win % would not change more than about 1% if you took out the 3 player games, and I'm sure the others are the same.

I think CPS was trying to get a game or two of the very strongest players. The only way to judge this is by win %. This isn't saying that people who have won a lower % are poor players either.

I suspect that some of the top win % players wont want to play as it will hurt their win %'s Embarassed
gische

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to start 12 more games just so I could get to 50. Now let's see if I can win enough of them to not drop my percentage below 50...
LVBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanga wrote:
Actually if you look at the records of the players who meet this criteria, 3 player games are very much in the minority.

Oh that is definitely true. But if I played 1000 3-player games I guarantee my % would get much better. Might even approach 50%.
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LVBrian I hereby officially challenge you to a 3 person 1000 game series (provided we can find 1 more person) but we need to start soon. At my age I don't know how much time I actually have left.
Rebelslayer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok LV and Coach ... I'm in! Laughing

But only if all 1000 games are played at the same time. Shocked
cpsof95

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, let me also remind all the players who meet the criteria to send a private message to me to get the password.

The first game is under way and it's been really tough. We need one more player for the second game, and then we can start looking for the third one.
LVBrian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LVBrian I hereby officially challenge you to a 3 person 1000 game series

Its throw down time!
t_o_m9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like the BCS system being reinvented here. What's magical about 50 games?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: