SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Accounts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Multiple Accounts Reply with quote

Is there any way that admin can check to see if a player is operating multiple accounts in the same game?
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be allowable if you have multiple personalities? Twisted Evil
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, as long as they attack themselves
freduk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they operate from multiple email adresses, they're likely undetectable. If they also use a different IP address each time, then I'd like to see how that could be detected.
Still, it seems like a lot of bother just to cheat at a boardgame. Especially if there's nothing at stake except pride. And where's the pride in cheating?
spearjr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:
If they operate from multiple email adresses, they're likely undetectable. If they also use a different IP address each time, then I'd like to see how that could be detected.
Still, it seems like a lot of bother just to cheat at a boardgame. Especially if there's nothing at stake except pride. And where's the pride in cheating?

Some people are willing to cheat just to feel superior, regardless of what is at stake. Most of us will find it silly and childish, but that doesn't stop it from happening.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Big Bad Lex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freduk wrote:

Lunacy in fact. However sometimes the evidence is overwealming;

Moves that need an input from 'both' players being taken within minutes of each other (on game log).

Account creation within days of each other.

Only seem to play with the other player.

No stats on profile

Similar names (very stupid).

Uncanny alliance with the other player where obvious profitable attacking oportunities (attacking each other) are overlooked to make life more difficult for the other player.

One player seems to repeatedly sacrifice advantageous position to give win to the other.

In isolation these examples can be explained away (people in the same family etc) but collectively you have to gag at the stink.

Whilst we have a ranking system which rewards wins, there will be certain personalities who will want to prime the pump to rise to the top by any means. I think the excuse is usually "to learn the rules without spoiling the game for others."

Last edited by Big Bad Lex on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple Accounts Reply with quote

Big Bad Lex wrote:
Is there any way that admin can check to see if a player is operating multiple accounts in the same game?

Yes, we assign Big Bad Lex to the case. Smile

If you suspect anyone of colluding, please send me a PM with the details so I can investigate. The last time this got dragged out into the public forum it wasn't pretty.
JimF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex, you should name and shame if you have seen obvious examples of this. Or at least name and then we can all decide whether we think shame should be attributed.
I must say in all my games I have yet to see anything which has stood out to me as multiple accounts type behaviour. I've had a few games where there have been some pretty dubious moves, but nothing I felt 100% sure was fishy.
All the best
Jim
cpsof95

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimF wrote:
I've had a few games where there have been some pretty dubious moves

Most of my games have had several dubious moves, but I don't think it's because of collusion...
stargate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me dubious moves = stupidity Shocked Shocked Smile
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you should name and shame if you have seen obvious examples of this. Or at least name and then we can all decide whether we think shame should be attributed.

Please do not take this approach. If you suspect someone of using multiple accounts send me or Ryan or Mikael a PM.
areeve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'll argue here with respect to the stats and rankings is...

What's the difference between a player playing him/herself and a player solely playing the people in their group of lousy gamers? I see some players in the ranking have attained high ranks because they beat up on their 'less skilled' friends time after time.

It would almost be nice to factor in the number of different players played against in some of these stats.
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say "I told you so" -- partly because I really didn't, though I did say something similar -- but this is exactly the sort of problem that comes from having a stats and ranking system. People get caught up in boosting their rank and do all sorts of moronic or unethical things to do so.

Does it really matter if Joe Bloggs can say "I'm the best Reef Encounter player on SpielByWeb"? Does he put that on his resume or what? Do the chicks really dig it?

I ignore stats because I think they are about as valid as Florida voting results. I pay some attention to mine, but only because I know how tough my competition was in any given game and to what extent my victory resulted from my skill versus my opponents' being total newbies; so I can gauge how well I understand a game, and whether I'm improving, by my W/L ratio. Other people stats are useless to me.
Golux13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:

For me, "dubious moves" are par for the course. Confused
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stargate wrote:

so are you refering to anyone in particular Bob?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Comments and Feature Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: