SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some long overdue Amun Re changes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Some long overdue Amun Re changes Reply with quote

In the near future I'll be rolling out some Amun Re changes. Here's what is in store:

1) Fixed the game board display for IE7. Don't know if this is happening to everyone, but there were some box model issues with how the provinces displayed that looked horrible

2) Added resource icons to the buying resources screen

3) Added Undo to the buying resources step. This will let you undo/redo the purchase and placement of farmers and stones.

4) Cleaned up several of the graphics. There was a lot of noise in some of the image files that probably only bothered over-the-top obsessive types like me, but I cleaned them up anyway.

Is there anything else I missed? I think items 2 & 3 should take care of about 98% of the complaints I've seen for this game. The only other major Amun Re issues I saw in the Forum were:

A) Speed it up by skipping/auto-completing phases. I'm not sold on this one.... maybe as a variant?

B) Open/closed money. I'm fine with how it is, but maybe some people would prefer a variant where it didn't explicitly display money?
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a variant for closed money --- great idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

and Thank You for the other items you fixed or updated Very Happy Very Happy
JimF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of that undo button in Game17394 Frankus20. I have just clicked on 4 farmers (which makes no sense in turn 6) thinking I was buying 4 bricks. I've left the game on the submit purchase screen hoping that I can undo in some way.
Yours in hope
Jim
craw-daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if you're going to implement a "secret money" variant than you might want to consider limiting the amount of information that you can see in the game log as well.

You can see in the rules about the differences between the board game and the web version of Amun-Re the main reason why money isn't secret. And if the game log isn't (partially secret) then money isn't secret either. You'd want people to be able to see what others did on their most recent turn at the very least. Of course, some people might then just keep track of their opponents' money on paper (or using their personal notepad for the game) rendering the idea of a "secret money" game irrelevant anyway.

I understand the reasoning why money is public knowledge in this web version. That's also one of the reasons that I still like playing Amun-Re face-to-face, as then you have to try and remember this stuff yourself. Very Happy Even in the face-to-face version, I still use the rule that the number of power cards a player has is public knowledge (or you can ask nicely to find out this number Wink).
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimF wrote:
Any chance of that undo button in Game17394 Frankus20.
Jim

Nope. Not yet implemented. Sorry.

As far as a secret money variant, I guess I would limit what goes into the log as much as possible, with the understanding that people could keep track of money if they really wanted to. The main difference is that money wouldn't be presented on the main page -- so if you had some kind of agreement with your game group to play with closed money this would make that easier.
JimF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't normally have asked - i've made loads of mis-clicks in the past and lived with them, but this is the last purchase of the last turn and I've completely blown a close game. Crying or Very sad

How long do i need to stall for until Undo gets implemented. Wink

On the secret money front I don't see a great advantage as there will be those who keep a track of the money either through the log or outside of the log if the log stops showing it. This is a problem in all PBEM games with hidden items that are trackable (such as VPs in Puerto Rico). Personally I say keep the information open as it doesn't distract from most of the games and often makes them more skillful.

Jim
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No amount of stalling will help you here I'm afraid. The very nature of undo means it has to be in place BEFORE you do what you want to undo. Smile

Again, on the secret money thing it's not something I've implemented yet, I'm just wondering if it would be a desirable option for some people. Because right now, even if a group wanted to play with hidden money, and they all agreed not to keep track - that option isn't available.

I contrast this to Reef Encounter, where you can easily mine the gamelog for what's in each parrotfish (except for that initial tile), but some people still prefer not to do that. If the contents of each parrotfish were displayed on the main page, you don't have the option.
nearsider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I contrast this to Reef Encounter, where you can easily mine the gamelog for what's in each parrotfish (except for that initial tile), but some people still prefer not to do that. If the contents of each parrotfish were displayed on the main page, you don't have the option.

I was just going to post this analogy!

I think this would be a good option to have it's easy to implement.
bearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if the game would auto-complete certain steps like accepting your income when you cannot play any power cards. This would speed things up a bit.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan wrote:
It would be nice if the game would auto-complete certain steps like accepting your income when you cannot play any power cards. This would speed things up a bit.

This has been discussed at length elsewhere in this forum. There are no plans to make any such changes.
julius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think when just one player has played a power card to change the harvest level and you cannot impact the level, the game should auto resolve.

If the sacrifice is at 7, I don't mind if I can make it 4 or 10, there is no difference. It's not a huge issue, but I can't see that anyone would gain any extra information as you have already played the card.
slith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes sound great. I'm all for the open money since it is always coutable anyway and makes it a little fairer for those players that have quick turns vs. those that can and would spend the time to track. If you want to put in an option to have hidden money, then these games should probably not count towards the rankings.

There's an idea for you. Allow a game to be created as either a 'ranked' or 'friendly' match. Simply put, friendlies would not count towards your ranking.

I know it sounds crazy, but I am less tempted to play against friends as I know at least one of us must lose and this will adversely affect our rankings long term.

JimF - I know how you're feeling. I have done exactly the same thing (4 farmers instead of 4 bricks). I didn't bother to see if I would have won 'cos it would only hurt more if I would have Smile
stargate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Some long overdue Amun Re changes Reply with quote

HappyProle wrote:
In the near future I'll be rolling out some Amun Re changes. Here's what is in store:

3) Added Undo to the buying resources step. This will let you undo/redo the purchase and placement of farmers and stones.

this was posted on 1/31/2007 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
BUT it's been over 8 month since this post
any chance number 3 could be taken care of in the NEAR FUTURE

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile PLEASE Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
milksheikh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved the posts re: using the bid blockade and outbid in the same province cards into a new topic as that seemed more appropriate (also since I had never split a topic before and wanted to see how it worked):

http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1812
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
domster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this - any indication of when these changes will be implemented?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: