SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible to end game without buying up all animals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hermes88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Possible to end game without buying up all animals? Reply with quote

Is there a way to end Hac other than buying all the animals? I thought it would end if both players just hit "end turn" without taking any actions, but that doesn't seem to work. If there isn't a way to do it, then my animal-less maps won't work. In that case, is there a way to have a moderator or something kill the games?

There are 3 such games in my "current games" right now: two with "Void" in the title and one with "Block."

Thanks,

Hermes88
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you create at least 9 seperate land masses you will be able to use the harvests to get money enough to buy out the animals. Probably won't be a particularly fun game, however!
hermes88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we didn't create that many, and it's not possible to do so now.

Is there some way you can end it for us? Also, the other two similar games should be canceled somehow.
hermes88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a future rule change, I'd recommend having it so that if both players 'end turn' without making a move for 3 consecutive turns (or something) then it ends and scores the half.

Marketless maps are interesting and fun in their own way, but as the game is presently constructed, it appears they cannot end (unless the players cooperate to make more than 8 land masses, which I think would be to their strategic disadvantage on my maps.

Even if they could buy up the animals, as the game now functions, there are situations where players could refuse to buy animals to force a draw.
Gaditus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermes88 wrote:

Is there some way you can end it for us? Also, the other two similar games should be canceled somehow.

I don't have any special status here - just trying to come up with a way to help you out of a mess.

Hopefully milksheikh will come across your post shortly and help you out.
spearjr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to end game without buying up all animals? Reply with quote

hermes88 wrote:
Is there a way to end Hac other than buying all the animals? I thought it would end if both players just hit "end turn" without taking any actions, but that doesn't seem to work. If there isn't a way to do it, then my animal-less maps won't work. In that case, is there a way to have a moderator or something kill the games?

There are 3 such games in my "current games" right now: two with "Void" in the title and one with "Block."

A game of Hacienda without animals isn't Hacienda, it is a different game. Some maps certainly try to create a different experience, but no markets is breaking a core component of the rules. I don't see the admins changing the code for these types of maps to work as a major priority.
View user's profile BoardGameGeek Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought a 'resign' button would be good, for games that are clearly over.

not sure that would help Hermes though.
stargate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few thoughts

1) the site admins have not been deleting broken games,
so the games will go to the abandoned games list in 60 days

2) some of the people who joined these games SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
I will not list names Shocked

3) having the games showing in your games list for 60 days is a great lesson for those involved Smile Twisted Evil Smile Twisted Evil Smile
>>> yes I am being evil Razz

4) because the games will not be completed >> the map can never become public Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

5) Wildfire2099 mentioned a "resign" button
instead of a "resign" link / button
maybe a mutual "delete game" link could be added
the game could be deleted if ALL the players agreed and clicked the "delete game" link

>>> this could take care of broken games and games joined of created in error
like some of the tournament games
hermes88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not clear that they'll ever go to "abandoned." I don't want to be considered to have abandoned a game, so I'll keep hitting "end turn." If my opponent does the same, the game never ends.
Wildfire2099

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a 'delete game' button is also a good idea, it's not the same as 'resign'... I maintain that's a good idea.

I also agree that if you want to play Hacienda without markets, what you really want to do is play some other game. No offense Hermes, but that is kinda silly Wink
IBX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildfire2099 wrote:
While a 'delete game' button is also a good idea, it's not the same as 'resign'... I maintain that's a good idea.

I also agree that if you want to play Hacienda without markets, what you really want to do is play some other game. No offense Hermes, but that is kinda silly Wink

Resigning a game should only be an option in a 2 player game, if at all.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it has been a while since I have posted anything. I hate real life some times.

I can say with 100% certainty that we won't be doing any code changes to allow no-animal games. A delete game button is probably something that should exist, assuming it had a 100% approval from those in the game. I don't have time to add that right now, but I think its worth having at some point. Resign is impossible in multi player games, unless we add in subs which is a lot of work.

So for now, let the game die via the abandoned games method and it will be fine. Having one abandoned game on your record won't tarnish it. It will just show that you made a broken map Smile
tripitaka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this scenario?

In a 2P game, if both people end their turn (without taking any actions), and the animal stack is not yet exhausted, will the game end? or will it keep going on until someone is forced to buy out the animal stack?

I know this thread was started several years ago, just wondered if any modifications to the game have been made since

Thanks

Trip
jerrycheng

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice..
selenagomez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

I love your content , seems to me perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Hacienda All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: