SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Game or Auction for Tiles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a fair number of auction games, and we end up bidding pretty fierce at certain points in the game. Most of our bidding is used for turn order on scoring rounds and things like that more so than the specific tile. More often than not in my experience your position is more important than the tile you get.

I don't mind player A getting this tile because we share a similar position on the board and I have a good idea where he is going to put it. Player B on the other hand would kill me with that tile.

Volcano tile popped up, I can handle player A or B getting the tile, but if player C scores first it will cause me to lose out on scoring those temples, I can't let that happen.

Bidding on tiles is in my opinion not what the auction is about. Its about ensuring you can make the most of your turn. At times that is due to you needing a tile, at times its due to you needing someone else to get the tile, and at times its purely about turn order in the scoring. There are are other times when its all about making sure 1 person doesn't get the tile.

I guess what it comes down to is this. Myke and I have gone over a ton of different ways to handle the auction. We have discussed and debated the merits of various options with each other, and other gamers and beta testers. It became clear to us after several of these discussions that the best way to do the auction is the way its shown in the rules.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that a game of Tikal with the auction variant as written in the rules would be any longer than Amun Re.
Golux13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you implement it that way, I'll certainly try it. I'm interested to see how it works and how much it really slows the game.
gische

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auction variant of tikal is going to be WAY longer than amun re. In amun re, you are all bidding on 5 items at the same time. In tikal, you bid on each tile in turn.

I was originally bummed when I saw that the version of tial on SbW was the non-auction variant, but the more I think about it, the less excited I am to play the auction variant via email. I'll give it a try, but I am not holding out hope.
HappyProle
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auctions will be longer than in Amun Re... but the rest of Tikal is so much faster than Amun Re that I think they'll be about the same length.
gische

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The auctions will be longer than in Amun Re... but the rest of Tikal is so much faster than Amun Re that I think they'll be about the same length.

Now that argument I can accept. The lack of phases in tikal does let it move along pretty well. I just worry that the pace of the auctions is going to grind the game to a halt. We shall see.
Araneuz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh, after 8 years of this discussion I read this, auction variant has been here for a long time now and many games played. It's not that long game after all! Very Happy

But really, 8 years? It's like yesterday when we talked about this, in this topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: