SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How they stack up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JokeToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: How they stack up Reply with quote

As in many strategic games old and new, turn order is very important in Tikal. In the standard game turn order is determined at random before the action gets underway. This leads to some simple observations that may affect your strategic and tactical thinking depending on what position you start in. The most lopsided effects occur in the 4-player game so I'll talk about that scenario here (though it's not hard to extrapolate these ideas into the 2- and 3-player games).

In a standard 4-player game of Tikal players #1 and #2 each draw 2 tiles from the A stack, while players #3 and #4 each draw 1 tile from the A stack. The situation reverses in the B stack, where players #3 and #4 each draw 2 tiles, while players #1 and #2 each draw 1 tile. Player #1 draws 2 tiles from the C stack, while each other player only draws 1 tile. Player #2 draws 2 tiles from the D stack, while each other player only draws 1 tile. Player #3 draws 2 tiles from the E stack, while each other player only draws 1 tile. Player #4 draws 2 tiles from the F stack, while each other player draws only 1 tile. Finally, the G stack is neutral because each player draws 1 tile from it.

With 5 points in temples and 8 pieces of treasure the A stack contains more asset value than the B stack, which has the same 5 points in temples but only 4 pieces of treasure. The B stack is also hampered by 2 blank tiles and the dreaded 1st volcano. Edge therefore to players #1 and #2 because they have twice as much opportunity to enjoy the sweeter fruits of the A stack than players #3 and #4.

From my experience the C stack is the most difficult to play because 3 of its tiles have only 1 side with stones, and that side has the cumbersome 3-stone wall. On the plus side its other 2 tiles are a graceful 4-temple, the largest temple to be played so far in the game, and a very playable blank. Slight edge to player #1 therefore because she has twice the opportunity to get something useful from the tricky C stack than the other players.

The D stack brings 2 truly high value temples along with the loud rumble of the 2nd volcano. Edge therefore to player #2. Indeed if player #2 is lucky enough to draw and control both 5-temples from the D stack, that may be enough to win the game right there.

The E stack offers the much prized 6-temple and another 5-temple. Its 2-treasure tile is easy to access. Big edge therefore to player #3. Even more dramatically than what might happen in the D stack, if player #3 is fortunate enough to draw and control both the 5-temple and the 6-temple from the E stack, that really should be enough to win the game.

The F stack temples are smaller than those in the D and E stacks but they are important because they often can be placed in a remote area controlled by only 1 camp. Of course, there is also the 3rd volcano to contend with. Edge to player #4 therefore, especially if she doesn't draw the volcano.

Adding it all up using simple probability, I have to give the turn order edge to player #2, with player #1 not far behind. Player #3's overall disadvantage through the first 4 stacks is offset by her large advantage in the E stack. Player #4 is at a distinct disadvantage having only 1 crack at both the D and E stacks with their big temples, but of course player #1 has the same problem. Perhaps someone has already analyzed the SBW database to calculate the winning percentage for each turn order position in 4-player games Question

So if I'm unlucky enough to be player #4, I figure I have to gamble in the hope of minimizing my turn order disadvantage. I might raise and cap a small temple early, like a 5 or even a 4 if the situation warrants it. I might set up a remote camp on pure spec and hope to draw a decent temple to hang off it. If I do that, I won't like it if the other players isolate my lonely tent and make it worthless, but I know the risk I'm taking and why I'm taking it. I'll certainly make sure I move several of my workers to the edges of the explored area so I can pounce on any good tile I happen to draw, even if it means spending Action Points on speculative movement rather than increasing the value of existing assets.

Considerations like these are why Tikal purists prefer the auction game, where both tiles and turn order are up for bid. I like the puzzle-like challenge of the auction game but the speed of play can be numbingly slow on-line, especially when 4 players are involved. So I'll take my chances in the faster paced standard game and do my best to make the most of whatever hand the fickle Tikal gods happen to deal me Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: