SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Volcanoes blocking empty corner (last tile jeopardy)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbass

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Two Volcanoes blocking empty corner (last tile jeopardy) Reply with quote

Can an admin please reset it back one turn Round 18

We have two volcanoes blocking the an empty hex in game 6996

http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=6996

I know this has been covered here before.
http://www.spielbyweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471

this game looks like it's halted
http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=5052
mrbass

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another game with two volcanoes stalled.

http://www.spielbyweb.com/game.php?games_id=7407
snoozefest

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Ruling? Reply with quote

Even better - is there a way to get an "official" ruling? From reading the rules, I can't tell which rule is correct:
1) The volcano tile placement was illegal
2) The game ends when the last legally-playable tile is placed
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is illegal to place a volcano like that. If I remember there is a post from Kramer and from Jay at Rio Grande about it. We will be fixing it as soon as the boss man gets back from Japan so we can get a few things on the host sorted. We will have to be patient until then though. Sorry guys.
laevus

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: I'm the law-breaker Reply with quote

Okay, so I should have realized that the volcano move was a bad move, but it made some strategic sense at the time, and I didn't know it was illegal. So, apologies to those effected. Secondly, my turn in 7407 is the last turn of the game, and my profile is getting horked (average turn rating climbing, longest length of turn etc). Is there a way to punish me more gently, lik ecalling it a loss for me? I don't relly want to be excluded from future games because my TPT gets out of control.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do anything until Mikael gets back in town. He is the only one with machine access on this new host. He is usually pretty fair, so I wouldn't worry about it to much. We'll take care of it as soon as wel can.
snoozefest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: legaility Reply with quote

laevus,

No apologies needed - clearly, this is an issue not well-discussed in the rulebook. To me it makes perfect sense to be able to play the volcano anywhere - you just have to compensate by giving the last player a turn with 10AP but without playing a tile. Apparently, though, that is not the more-or-less official interpretation.
Golux13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a turn with 10AP and no tile "compensate" a player for not having a tile to place (and 10AP that he would get anyway)?
mrbass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: legaility Reply with quote

snoozefest wrote:
laevus,

No apologies needed - clearly, this is an issue not well-discussed in the rulebook. To me it makes perfect sense to be able to play the volcano anywhere - you just have to compensate by giving the last player a turn with 10AP but without playing a tile. Apparently, though, that is not the more-or-less official interpretation.

If it was clearly allowed in the rules it'd CLEARLY state the last player gets compensated for 10 APs. For me it's clearly not allowed is how I interpret the rules. If there must be a path to every tile except volcanoes by blocking two corners your not allowing the last tile to have a path which contradicts the rules.
snoozefest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golux13 wrote:
How does a turn with 10AP and no tile "compensate" a player for not having a tile to place (and 10AP that he would get anyway)?

Because if you said that the volcano placement was legal, then the game would end 1 turn earlier because there would be no legal place to put the last tile. Given the number of tiles in the game, the last player would therefore be shorted 1 turn - i.e., would have gotten 10 fewer AP than the rest of the players did. Therefore, the "compensation" is not for the inability to place a tile (which, at the end of the game, is a mixed blessing anyway) but for the loss of a turn because of the game ending 1 turn earlier than expected.
snoozefest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: legaility Reply with quote

mrbassx wrote:
snoozefest wrote:
laevus,

If it was clearly allowed in the rules it'd CLEARLY state the last player gets compensated for 10 APs. For me it's clearly not allowed is how I interpret the rules. If there must be a path to every tile except volcanoes by blocking two corners your not allowing the last tile to have a path which contradicts the rules.

I didn't say it was clearly allowed. What I said was that it was clear that the rules are not explicit about this issue. If the volcano placement is clearly illegal, it'd CLEARLY state that when describing how to play a volcano tile. Instead, there are 2 contradictory rules: (1) a tile must be played such that a path connects it to some other non-volcano tile, and (2) volcanos don't follow rule #1 except that they must be adjacent to already-played tiles. In fact, the simplest (i.e., fewest changes to the text of the rules) fix would be to add one word to the game end condition - from "last tile" to "last legal tile".

Furthermore, I think the volcano placement makes sense from a thematic view - it seems perfectly reasonable that a volcano could erupt anywhere, blocking further exploration. Heck, maybe it's even thematic to screw the last player ... although not very Eurogame-like.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6996 and 5052 are fixed.
RyanMC
SBW Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7407 is also fixed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Tikal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: