SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

armies question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripitaka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: armies question. Reply with quote

I am a noob to wallenstein. i have a few questions relating to armies, the tower, and the supply. bear with me ...

1. How many armies does each player start with? I can't seem find that in the rules. but it seems like it is around 60ish. Can anyone tell me the exact number?

2. At the very start of the game - in the 5 player game i am playing - each player had 7 armies thrown into the tower and 23 put on the board. And from what i understand some of the 7 that went in the tower pop out the bottom and go back into each players supply. Is that right so far? How do these numbers differ for 2, 3, 4 player games?

3. The cup holds the armies that fall out of the tower (of players NOT involved in the most recent battle or revolt). These armies in the cup are then thrown into the tower before the next battle or revolt begins. Right?

So at any point in the game the number of armies any player has in the tower can be calculated by the following relationship.

number in tower = number started with - number on the board - number in supply - number in the cup

And am i right in reading that the probability that an army falls out of the tower given it was just added is 0.7 and the probability that one falls out of the tower given that it was already in there is 0.3?

Sorry for all of this. just need to get this straight in my head.

Next up: peasant armies!

thanks Trip
Galwitz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: armies question. Reply with quote

It's complicated... Smile No, it is not.

There are 62 army cubes for each color in the box. One is usually used as a marker on the grain tally board leaving 61 for further use.

Next the cube tower is prepared. This is done by throwing in 7 army cubes from each player plus 10 peasant army cubes. What comes out goes back to supply. The chances are few cubes will get stuck inside.

Now the provinces are distributed and armies deployed. This could be done in two ways.

Simple way is to follow distribution list in the instructions. It shows provinces and their respective initial garrison size for each player. Note that if there is less than 5 players some of the provinces are taken out of the game completely.

Advanced option involves 9 army slots on each players board. Each slot has a number (5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2) and corresponding count of army cubes is placed there. You will use/fill all 9 slot for 5 players game, 8 for 4 players and 7 for 3 players game. The deck of province cards is shuffled and players draw the cards to get their provinces. Into each province they deploy armies from one of their available slots (all cubes from the slot go to the province).

Either way you will end up deploying 27 armies per player for 3 players game, 25 for 4 players and 23 for 5 players. The advanced option provides more variation in the initial setup. The total number of armies in the game per player may vary a bit however, since some more could have gotten stuck in the tower during its preparation as described above and they may eventually come out at some point. It won't be a significant number though.

You are right about the armies in the cup. When a battle or revolt occurs, all committed armies from the provinces involved are added to those of the same colors in the cup and are thrown into the tower to determine the outcome of the hostilities.

I think your calculation is also right but you need to take into the account the potential armies stuck in the tower during the preparation phase. It bothers me that the online version doesn't show this calculated value (there is a feature request for it if I am not mistaken) since it's rather important information.

I can't vouch for the probability formula. Although it could be correct, my own battle results seem to defy any probability law more often than not. Smile

Hope it helps.

Last edited by Galwitz on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:52 am; edited 2 times in total
OCGMARK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galwitz,
Very solid response; I would add one thing. The way to figure out how many armies one players has in the tower is to add those on the board plus those in the cup plus "armies in supply" and subtract that number from the 61 that you begin with. At the beginning of the game you can just simply look at the "armies in supply" and whichever player has the lowest number in that column has the most in the tower.
Mark
Sophia015

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am having alot of questions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Wallenstein All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: