SpielByWeb Forum Index SpielByWeb
http://www.spielbyweb.com/

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Find a UserFind a User   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 Your GamesYour Games   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amun-Re is leaving SpielByWeb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smlait

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwojtasz wrote:
someone must have got the developers ear and said no one is buying the games and just playing online... which is probably far from true. i would figure more than 80% of the players own the games. Even so, only 1/5'th need own them in a typical 5 player game since not everyone who plays a game owns a copy of it...

Heh. I did actually own a copy for a few years, but I eventually traded it away because none of my face-to-face opponents like auction games so it never ever got played. And if I'm going to push the auction issue, I'm going to make them play Power Grid or Goa... Smile
laevus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a copy thanks to this site. Maybe you should gather info on how many copies of the game they have sold because of this site and try to use it as leverage. Unless there are just a bunch of freeloaders out there Smile.
lefty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laevus wrote:
Unless there are just a bunch of freeloaders out there Smile.

Or a bunch of people who play games with other people who don't like Amun Re
Tatsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, Knizia likes the model of being paid for each game. Developers for the iphone/ipad aren't going to sell games for the target platform when you can pull up said game for free on a browser.
greyshoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexgames has recently signed a license for Ra, and Schotten Totten and Lost Cities where you now have to pay to play there (before there was no cost)
I would only assume this is why they are being pulled form the free game sites since some are trying a business model in which they make money from charging people. I already own these games in person and wasnt about to pay to play them online also so I no longer visit Flex.

I have no inside information as to if this is what is deffinately happening, just what I have seen first hand and putting 2 + 2 together.
daveszum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: business models Reply with quote

At the end of the day, you have to follow the money. Very few (which is not to say no one, there is a sucker born every minute) will want to spend hard earned income to play this game when there are so many other options available. Better off to sell your soul to advertisers.....(ewww, I can't believe I said that). On the other hand, Amun Re is so well designed, that I cannot help but believe that it will (after it is purchase by a more visionary backer) find its way forth. Stay tuned.
Spleen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: BAD Knizia! Reply with quote

I must say, that if it's true that Mr. Knizia is taking this away from us in order to charge more money, I am no longer a fan of his. I will not be buying any future games that he designs either.
pkwolf54

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: question Reply with quote

Flexgames seems very reasonable $3 to play the game forever on their website

If they add Amun Re is there any way we could continue this over there?
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleen I wouldn't be too hard on Reiner. He let us play for free for 5+ plus years. You didn't even have to have a copy of the game to play.

I believe he is creating his own site where he will have his games available to play for hopefully a reasonable fee.
Spleen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought amun re as soon as I could get my hands on it on initial release. It's one of my favorites and has seen a ton of play. I joined spielbyweb specifically to join the BPA tournaments for this game. I have a problem with people charging me repeatedly for something that I already own. In the past, because of such games as amun re, samurai, T&E, etc... I've been excited to try anything by Reiner Knizia. But I have a difficult time supporting anyone who I perceive as greedy.
stargate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleen wrote:
I bought amun re as soon as I could get my hands on it on initial release. It's one of my favorites and has seen a ton of play. I joined spielbyweb specifically to join the BPA tournaments for this game. I have a problem with people charging me repeatedly for something that I already own. In the past, because of such games as amun re, samurai, T&E, etc... I've been excited to try anything by Reiner Knizia. But I have a difficult time supporting anyone who I perceive as greedy.

I assume that Flexgames is Reiner's site, or at least where his games will be hosted

paying $3 for a lifetime permission to play a game is cheap, not greedy
even five different games at $3 a game is cheap
just look at the donations for this site, they do not cover the hosting costs Sad

what the $3 cost may do is ...
cut down on multiple accounts
cut down on spam accounts

lets say there were 10 total games of the Flexgames site ..
with 1000 users per game
that would work out to be $3,000 per game, $30,000 total
the money would have to go to hosting, bugs fixes, coding, etc .......

I don't see anyone getting rich or being greedy

also when you buy a game for $40 .. I doubt the designer gets enough from the game purchase to buy a Dunkin Donuts coffee

how many people here have paid $300 for a game console plus $20 to $50 for the games ?
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Bob, you know about game console prices! I didn't you were "hip" to what the kids were doing today Wink
Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa who says the PS3 is for kids? I am in my 50s and I have PS3 and I have several game apps on my iPhone not mention my huge collection of PC games and board games. My wife says I never grew up (I do not argue with that because she is probably right).
Bkruppa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that was just a pot shot at Stargate, not a general opinion
stargate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkruppa wrote:
Actually that was just a pot shot at Stargate, not a general opinion

little Billy and I pick on each other Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpielByWeb Forum Index -> Amun-Re All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: